This content has been archived. It may no longer be relevant
Why were we told about the miracle of feeding 5000 people with 5 loaves and 2 fish? Then 4000 people with 7 loaves and a few small fish? Why were there 12 baskets left in the first miracle and then 7 baskets left in the second? How does the miracle relate to us? Why was it so important that we were told about it?
You know that song by Tina Turner? “What’s love got to do with it”? Im literally singing loudly “what’s loaves got to do, got to do with it”? Nanananaa….
LET’S REASON TOGETHER: Five Loaves and Two Fish
Mark 6:33-44, 5000 people were fed from 5 loaves and 2 fish.
It says, the people saw them going, and many recognised them and ran there together on foot from all cities, and got there ahead of them.
When Jesus went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and He felt compassion for them because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and He began to teach them many things.
When it was already quite late, His disciples came to Him and said, “This place is desolate and it’s already quite late; send them away so that they may go into the surrounding countryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat.
But He answered them, “You give them something to eat!” and they said to Him, “shall we go and spend two hundred denarii on bread and give them something to eat? And He said to them, “How many loaves do you have? Go look!” and when they found out, they said “Five, and two fish”.
And He commanded them all to sit down by groups on the green grass. They sat down in groups of hundreds and of fifties. And He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up toward heaven, He blessed the food and broke the loaves and He kept giving them to the disciples to set before them; and He divided up the two fish among them all.
They ate and were satisfied and they picked up 12 full baskets of the broken pieces and also of the fish. There were 5000 men who ate the loaves. (We were not told the number of children and women so it was more).
What does this mean?
First of all before we also break bread, lets go to 2Kings 4:1-7. There, we meet a widow who met with Elisha and said “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the Lord; and the creditor has come to take my two children to be his slaves”.
Elisha said to her, “what shall I do for you? Tell me, what do you have in the house? and she said, “Your maidservant has nothing in the house except a jar of oil”.
Elisha said to her, “Go, borrow vessels at large from all your neighbours, even empty vessels: do not get a few. And you shall go in and shut the door behind you and your sons, and pour out into all these vessels, and you shall set aside what is full“.
She went from him and shut the door behind her and her sons. They were bringing the vessels to her as she poured. When the vessels were full, she said to her son, “bring me another vessel” and He said to her “There is one vessel more” and the oil stopped.
Then she came and told the man of God and he said “go, sell the oil and pay your debt, and you and your sons can live on the rest”.
2nd Thessalonians 3:10-13
For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either. For we hear some of you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to work in quiet fashion and eat their own bread.
SPIRITUAL MEANING OF THE 5000
I’m not sure if you know or not, but don’t interpret spiritual truth with physical matters. If we are to use physical matters to explain truth, that is called wisdom in this case.
Otherwise the physical matter mentioned is not literal but spiritual. For example, a rock is representative of Jesus Christ but this doesn’t mean that Jesus is literally a rock. Please, do I make sense?
I want to use not only these two aforementioned scriptures but also two others shortly to show you what that miracle has got to do with you.
- The large crowd that was hanging around there was longing to hear the word of Jesus Christ. They had no leadership that is someone to teach them the word and so Jesus had compassion and took upon Himself as the shepherd to nurture the sheep. He started revealing His truth to them.
- His disciples said the place was desolate to mean the place was spiritually dry. There were no people that were receptive of spiritual transformation.
- The sending them away to go to the surrounding villages to buy something to eat was to go and look for people to spiritually edify somewhere else.
- Jesus said, they don’t have to go somewhere else in order to find people to edify. The disciples, should see what is spiritually available to them and give it to Jesus who will multiply it then give it to the disciples to distribute to the people.
- They found 5 loaves and that is the first five gifts of the Holy Spirit. Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Strength and Knowledge. The two fish, were the people they managed to edify within the region.
- When they took the gifts they used and the results of it (two fish because the place was desolate), then presented it to Jesus Christ, He gave thanks and decided to multiply.
- After multiplication, He ordered people to be divided. The division was according to the impartation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They through the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the two people that these gifts were imparted on, were able to be fully edified in the spirit. That is full understanding of the word to the extent that it bore the fruits.
- There were 12 baskets left. The 12 baskets meant that from the gifts of the Holy Spirit imparted on them earlier, the 12 fruits of the Holy Spirit were made manifest. That is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Faithfulness, Self control, Modesty and Chastity.
I brought up 2 Kings 4:1-7 because it is relative to the feeding of 5000. The vessels the widow was asked to borrow are representative of people.
Empty vessels are those that need to hear the word of salvation through her anointing. I say anointing because that’s what the oil represented spiritually.
For her case, her duty was to intercede for the ones in need of the word of God until they find understanding which leads to salvation. The one who found full understanding that led to salvation, was the vessel that was full.
To sell the vessel and pay the debt meant that, through the salvation of one, her debt will be paid. Making her free from the creditor. That was the enemy keeping her children in bondage. So she represents the vessel that is full to the Lord and her debt gets paid.
For Thessalonians, I brought it up to mention what works really are in the bible. This scripture has been greatly misunderstood because people interpret it from the flesh not spirit.
The works talked about, are the good works of righteousness. That is Faith, Abstinence, Simplicity, Innocence, Modesty, Discipline and Charity/Giving of Alms.
For their part what they meant is where they ate and laboured, there a vessel was filled too. That’s in fact how the apostles survived. Their labor was labor for the gospel of the Kingdom and their reward was more gifts from the Holy Spirit which strengthened them. People too who were aware of “do not muzzle the ox while it is threading grain” stood for their basic needs.
So generally, if you don’t partake in tending to the vine, don’t expect to eat from the fruit of the vine. This goes hand in hand with the feeding of the 5000.
The more we understand the word, the more gifts we receive to understand the word. The more people we help from our understanding drawn from the gifts imparted on us, the more fruits of righteousness we bare.
So if we have just 5 gifts and represent them to Christ for the help of others, He empowers them and we use them to edify the flock. Then they gain understanding and leave us with 12 baskets, the fruits of righteousness born from the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
An indication that we laboured well. Which is how we gain freedom too even as we all grow together as members of one body.
SPIRITUAL MEANING OF THE 4000
Mark 8:1-9 4000 people were fed from 7 loaves and a few small fish.
In those days, when there was again a large crowd and they had nothing to eat, Jesus called His disciples and said to them, “I feel compassion for the people because they have remained with me now three days and have nothing to eat. If I send them away hungry to their homes, they will faint on the way; and some of them have come a great distance.
His disciples answered Him, “where will anyone be able to find enough bread here in this desolate place to satisfy these people? And He was asking them, “How many loaves do you have”? and they said seven. He directed the people to sit down on the ground: and taking the seven loaves, He gave thanks and broke them and started giving them to His disciples to serve them, and they served them to the people.
They also had a few small fish and after He blessed them, He ordered these to be served as well. They ate and were satisfied; and they picked seven full of what was left over of the broken pieces. About four thousand were there and He sent them away.
- Again there was a hunger for the word but it was not available. Jesus had compassion on them because this group was fasting while seeking truth for 3 days and couldn’t achieve anything. He had mercy on them and didn’t want them to leave without being filled.
- The disciples saw the same problem as at first. The place was desolate i.e spiritually dry.
- Again Jesus asked the disciples what they had instead of sending the people away. This time, they had seven loaves. Now it was the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit on a much higher spiritual impartation. Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, Healing, Miracles, Prophesy and Discernment.
- This group of people were on a higher spiritual level as compared to the first. They were hungry and thirsty to hear the word and gain more understanding. Even went to the extent of fasting for the word.
- From the gifts of the Holy Spirit, they gained understanding and from that, they received the first gifts of the Holy spirit because they already had the 12 fruits of the Holy Spirit. These were Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Strength, Knowledge, Fear of the Lord, Piety.
- With these, they understood the word and were fully edified.
How does this relate to us?
You do have a problem and everyone in fact, has a spiritual deficit. If you observe your life carefully, you will notice too that you meet people with the same problem as you. Your solution, is tied to solving those similar problems spiritually not with silver and gold.
The deficit is not there as though you were not welcome to partake in the body of Christ. It is a setup for your spiritual growth.
With your problem, If you come to know who you really are, then you will discover the “hidden treasures” within you. These are the gifts that will unlock your spiritual breakthrough.
This is based on how you use this gifts, in collaboration with Christ Jesus to benefit others for the sake of the Kingdom.
If you have prophecy for example, He will take that prophecy and add on to that Counsel. You in return will take this prophecy and counsel and use it to edify lets say for example nations.
If these nations will hearken unto the prophecy and counsel of the Holy Spirt, they will bare fruits of the Holy Spirit and if they do so, then they will also bare the gifts of the Holy Spirit. As this happens you both advance spiritually as the Lord is glorified for our Father to be glorified.
Thats what the widow did in the times of Elisha. That is what Thessalonians was talking about and that is what Jesus tried to demonstrate through the feeding of the 5000 and 4000.
What gift do you have? Take it to the Lord in prayer. Let Him multiply it and then use the gift to edify others. As they grow and fully grow for that matter, you both grow and eventually achieve spiritual freedom.
For the people that take this message of multiplication and use it to collect money to buy private jets while confusing those that are truly in need of the truth. You are taking a name on interest and the interest is going to cost you a lot to pay back. Watch Paul very very closely and learn a thing or two.
The word of God is not a commercial entity to be used by people who do not even care to know who He really is, for their own selfish gain, manipulation and enticement of the flesh.
The word is God and we have to honour Him. If there is wisdom lacking pray for it and He will grant it generously. We don’t take the word to gain money, fame, have a stroke of ego, gain “fans” and buy things while abusing people, judging and burdening them. The commercialisation has to stop and we must aim at dividing the word correctly.
If you have seen this also, you know I’ve made mention that, when we stop at the miracle we miss the point.